Friday, July 3, 2026

"It said well Marianne it's come to
this time when we are really so old
and our bodies are falling apart and
I think I will follow you very soon.
Know that I am so close behind you
that if you stretch out your hand,
I think you can reach mine.

And you know that I've always loved you
for your beauty and your wisdom, but I
don't need to say anything more about
that because you know all about that.
But now, I just want to wish you a very
good journey. Goodbye old friend.
Endless love, see you down the road."


From the last letter Leonard Cohen
sent to Marianne, the true love of his life,
when he heard she was dying.
The woman who inspired him to write
"So long, Marianne"

Marianne received the letter just a day
before she died. Two days after Cohen
posted it, he got the news of her death.

Marianne's family said "When we read it
aloud, she smiled as only Marianne can.
She lifted her hand when you said you
were right behind, close enough to reach her".

This letter gave Marianne deep peace of mind;
that Cohen knew about her condition.
Life's short. Call the real love of your life
before it's too late!

oldmansrock
art: Kazuhiko Fukuoji

No comments:

Post a Comment