We often assume that more self-awareness automatically
produces more truth.
Introspection gives you more data, but it doesn't
guarantee a more accurate theory.
"I notice I become anxious when someone pulls away."
is an observation.
"Because I am fundamentally too much." "Because people
Always abandon me." "Because I unconsciously choose
avoidant partners."
Are theories trying to explain the observation.
Introspective people are often better at constructing
persuasive explanations.
If you're articulate, emotionally literate,
and psychologically curious, you can build
incredibly elegant narratives.
You have evidence. You have patterns.
You have childhood memories. You have
attachment theory. You have Jung.
You have threapy language.
Suddenly your theory isn't just plausible.
It feels inevitable.
A good lawyer can make a compelling case
from the available evidence. That doesn't
necessarily mean they're arguing the objectively
correct side.
They're constructing choherence and our minds
do this constantly.
Some people who can describe every childhood wound
they've ever had, know their attachment style, and
trauma responses.
and use every single piece of evidence to lead back
to the same conclusion about themselves.
The insight never changes the identity.
True self-awareness is "I keep noticing this pattern."
Rather than, "I know exactly why this happens."
Truly self-aware people understand how skilled their minds
are at fooling themselves.
You can be incredibly introspective.
and
Interpret every observation through a distorted premise.
Myths are attention-directing devices.
A personal myth doesn't just tell
you who you are. It tells you what
counts as evidence.
Sometimes highly introspective people
mistake coherence for truth.
But reality is often less coherent
than our explanations.
A life can contain contradictory motives,
random events, misunderstandings, bad timing,
growth, luck, and other people's agency.
A coherent story is psychology comforting
because it reduces that complexity.
But one of the marks of maturity is being
able to tolerate complexity.
Ask, "What observation am I absolutely certain
about, and what interpretation have I quietly
promoted to fact?
Holding those apart is suprisingly difficult,
especially when we're eloquent enough to make
out interpretations sound like observations.
Develop the skill of knowing what is a fact
and what is your story.
So when you choose to create and live inside
a story, you can make it a good one.
erosandinneralchemy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment