Wednesday, August 19, 2026

The One Who Stayed

Last year,
the world fell in love
with a penguin
for walking away.

You remember.

Of course you do.

Human beings have
Always mistaken
movement
for revelation.

A body crossing a
border.
A train leaving a
platform.
A saint Climbing a
mountain.
A child announcing "I don't need you
anymore."

We cannot resist
the choreography of
departure.

It looks so much like
becoming.

The other penguin
The one who stayed
barely made the edit.

No orchestral swell.

No philosophy
threaded
beneath slow-motion
footage.

Just a small black
body
remaining.

It occurred to me
that perhaps
remaining
is the last miracle
our civilisation no
longer recognizes.

We have built entire
religions
around
transcendence.

Very few
around presence.

Somewhere along the way,
we began confusing distance
with depth.

As though every answer
must live
an the opposite shore.

As though wisdom
is forever elsewhere.

The one who stayed
understood something
that cannot be taught.

Not because they were wiser.

Because love,
if you practice it long enough,
eventually removes
your appetite
for conquest.

You stop asking,
"How do I keep you?"

You begin asking,
"How do I refuse
to make your freedom
pay rent
inside my fear?"

That question
has never gone viral.

It isn't photogenic.

There are no commencement
speeches
about the extraordinary
discipline
of leaving another soul
uncolonised.

Yet perhaps
that is where holiness
has been hiding.

Not inside temples.
Not inside scriptures.

Inside the almost
impossible decision
to witness another life
without insisting
it orbit yours.

I don't think
the opposite of love
is leaving.

Or even loss.

I think the opposite of love
is ownership.

Everything else
is just geography.

People imagine
the one who stayed
was waiting.

I don't.

Waiting expects.
Waiting bargains.
Waiting secretly rehearses
a different ending.

No.

I think
they were
doing
something infinitely
stranger.

They were allowing reality
to remain reality.

Without decorating it.
Without negotiating with it.
Without demanding
that pain
change its mind.

There is a peculiar dignity
in refusing
to lie
about what has happened.

Perhaps that is what grief is.

Not sadness.

Accuracy.

To look directly
at the shape
someone has left behind
and resist
the deeply human temptation
to redraw the outline.

Maybe that's why
I couldn't stop watching
the penguin who remained.

Because they reminded me
that devotion
is not measured
by how tightly
you can hold.

Anyone can close a fist.

Devotion asks something
far less intuitive.

Can you leave
your hand open
even after it has forgotten
the weight
it once carried?

Can tenderness
survive
the humiliation
of having nowhere to land?

Can love
continue existing
without assigning itself
a job?

These are not questions for romance.

They belong
to every parent
whose child invents a world
that no longer requires
translation.

Every teacher
who knows
their finest lesson
will eventually be quoted
without their name attached.

Every friend
who smiles
at news
that confirms
they have become
a chapter
instead of a home.

Every tree
that never tastes
its own fruit.

Every shoreline
that understands
the sea
has never once
belonged to it.

Perhaps
we have celebrated
the wrong penguin.

Not because
there is anything ignoble
about leaving.

Sometimes leaving
is the only honest sentence
a life can write.

But I wonder
whether the greater courage
belongs to the one
who stood still
without becoming stone.

Who loved
without converting love
into a contract.

Who discoverd
that the highest form
of devotion
is not convincing someone
to stay.

It is refusing
to become smaller
because they couldn't.

And perhaps-
this is the part
I keep returning to -

the one who stayed
was never left behind.

They were simply
the last one
still capable
of calling love
by it's real name.

farazarifansari

No comments:

Post a Comment