Monday, August 31, 2026

I think we fucked ourselves when we decided
knowing why we are the way we are was the
same thing as changing.


We became fluent in ourselves.

I know my attachment style. I know my childhood wounds.
I know why I people please. I know why I shut down.
I know why I chase unavailable people. I know why conflict
makes my nervous system go fucking bananas. I know which parent
it came from. I know my triggers. My trauma responses.
My inner child. My protectors.

We can explain ourselves beautifully now.

And sometimes I wonder if all that language has
become another place to hide.

Because there's a strange comfort in
understanding your patterns without actually
interrupting them.

"I'm anxiously attached" can slowly become
another way of saying, This is just what I do.

"I'm avoidant" becomes permission to disappear.

"My nervous system doesn't feel safe" becomes
a reason to never enter anything uncomfortable.

"My childhood made me this way" becomes a
permanent hall pass from adulthood.

And none of those things are bullshit.
Our histories matter.
Our bodies remember.

What happend to us shapes what happens
inside us.

But at some point, the explanation has to stop
being the destination.


Because knowing why you keep choosing
unavailable people doesn't matter much if you
keep choosing unavailable people.

Knowing why you become cruel during conflict
doesn't repair what you said.

Knowing you have abandonment wounds doensn't
mean someone else should spend their life
proving they won't leave.

Knowing your father never apologized doesn't
excuse you from learning how.

There comes a point where healing gets
incredibly unsexy.

No breakthrough.
No revelation.
No new vocabulary.

You just do something different.
You don't send the text.
You stay in the room.
You say you're sorry without explaining why you
dit it.
You tolerate being misunderstood.
You let someone love you without creating a test
to see if they really will.
You choose the boring healthy person instead of
the exciting familiar wound.
You catch yourself halfway through the old
pattern and say, Fuck. I'm doing it again.

And then you stop.

Maybe that's what healing actually looks like. Not
becoming someone who no longer has wounds.
Becoming someone whose wounds no longer get
to make every fucking decision.

Insight can explain your life.
But only behavior can change it.

And eventually we have to stop asking,

"Why am I like this?"

and start asking,

"Now that I know, what am I going to do
differently?"


@theangrytherapist

No comments:

Post a Comment